We’re very excited to offer a new Principle Six vendor line of organic fruit products from Michigan.
We'll receive our first order of Omena Organics fruits on April 17th. You can look for some truly delicious cherry, cranberry, blueberry, and apple products—canned, dried, and frozen.
Some customers have asked whether the bulk or packet seed we carry is organic or not. They were concerned that if it isn’t organic, it might be genetically modified. Let me assure everyone that none of our seed, whether raised organically or conventionally, is GMO.
The Bloomingfoods East spring wine tasting will be held Saturday, May 4th, from 4 to 7 pm on the patio overlooking the lovely in-full-bloom garden center.
The tasting will feature many wonderful wines, with industry reps sharing information about them, including how best to pair them to your favorite food items. We'll also have a delicious assortment of cheeses and specialty meats from our deli.
It's getting closer to spring on the farm. Here is a photo from our friends at Fischer Farms.
We have some new meat options at Bloomingfoods East from Fischer Farms and Smoking Goose Meatery. These are two of our favorite Principle Six meat suppliers, sourcing high quality local products from by small farm operations. Just in time for March Madness!
We’re pleased to announce that we now carry Hartzler Family Dairy milk and rolled butter.
Spring is literally just around the corner. While our official frost date may be April 25, there are plenty of things to check out at the East Bloomingfoods Garden Center.
- Seed potatoes and onion sets arrive March 14. We have Kennebec, Yukon Gold, Red Pontiac, Red Norland, and All Blue potatoes, as well as yellow, white, and red onions. New this year are Walla Walla sweet onion slips.
- Is your lawn looking shabby after last year’s drought? Be sure to fill in the dead spots with Jaguar turf-type fescue, perfect for shade or sun and high traffic areas. We also carry fertilizers and soil amendments.
- And speaking of lawns, be sure to try out the new human-powered Fiskars StaySharp Plus lawn mower. It’s fun to cut the grass the Green way!
- It’s nesting season for the birds, and we have added Wild Delight premium bird seed, fortified with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and real fruit. At the risk of sounding anthropomorphic, think of it as a prenatal supplement.
- Of course, we still carry 66 varieties of garden seed in bulk, and almost 500 different packets, plus a wide selection of soil amendments, pest controls, tools, and pots.
- Bedding plants will be here soon, but for the widest variety, now is the time to start your tomato, pepper, and eggplant seedlings; a heat mat will get them off to a fast start.
The free lecture series continues every other Sunday at 2:00 in the new Patio Room. Mark your calendars:
- March 24: Ed Burns of Wiggling Winnie’s fame talks about vermiculture (composting with worms).
- April 7: Chris Bobbitt shares tips on better lawn care.
- April 21: Ferrol Johnson of Abundant Harvest Farms speaks about soil improvement and urban gardening.
Gardening and bird watching are America’s two most popular hobbies. Come join the fun at the Garden Center!