There is lots of excitement around here these days as we prepare for our May Truckload Sale!! Hope you’re excited too
Some new items that we’ve brought in to the Grocery Department include the following:
• Local Folks Foods (one of our very favorite local producers!) BBQ sauces – Apple butter and Habanero
• Rex Coffee (our newest local vendor!) A few months ago a crack Bloomingfoods team traveled to Terre Haute to visit with the folks at Clabber Girl to discuss partnership opportunities. I participated in my very first (I hope it’s not my last!) coffee tasting. Now, coffee and wine are two of my favorite food groups and I must say I was more entertained and more enlightened by the coffee tasting than any wine tasting I’ve ever been to!! Chris Weber is Roast Master for Rex and he certainly was a master of putting together an educational and delicious experience for us! Blending history and progress, these specialty grade, single origin coffees are roasted in small batches in the historic Hulman building.
• Mister Buck’s Pet Food – We’re bringing in a new flavor of canned dog food (Chicken & Apple), canned cat food (Seafood & Chicken), and 5 lb bags of the same flavors of dry dog food we currently carry in the 20lb bags. Mister Buck’s has really taken off and we’re thrilled to be able to offer their products to you!
• Nacho Mom – Vegan Queso recommended to us by Herald Times Food Editor, Cindy Bradley who brought in a jar for us to try. We all agreed…very tasty! The sensation that started it all...Nacho Mom's Ultimate Vegan Queso was the first healthy (and vegan!) queso to hit supermarket shelves...and it became an instant overnight success. and then the world cried out for more...
...so we took everything you loved about our original version, added a kick more heat and a kiss of smoky flavor from chunks of fire roasted tomatoes and roasted chipotles and used gluten-free flour so it's 100% allergen-free!
...and then we ran with scissors and created something completely different...
Unable to find a truly creamy all-natural bean dip, we created the first black bean dip/queso fusion...And so many tasters called it "wicked good" that it was labeled Voodoo Queso...a jar of black (bean) magic with the perfect blend of spices and chunks of fresh diced tomatoes and fire roasted green chiles.
AUTHENTIC FOODS – Specialty flours and mixes for our Gluten Free, Allergen Free shoppers! Another recommendation from Cindy Bradley, who’s been practicing Gluten Free baking, we’re excited to offer this line. Check out the Falafel Mix and the flours: Sweet Superfine Rice, Brown Rice Superfine, White Rice Superfine.
And…we’ll be debuting the 7 lb bag of Authentic Foods Pancake & Baking Mix at the Truckload Sale!
• FIELDS OF AGAPE
Locally grown, organic GRITS!! BACK IN OUR BULK SECTION! “Fields of Agape, LLC is an organic grain, seed and bean cooperative of farms located in the heart of central Indiana. Since 2005, we have been growing flax for seed and fiber as well as grains that include hard red wheat and buckwheat. In 2009 we expanded our fields to include protein rich legumes such as non-gmo food grade soybeans, black beans, pinto beans and cranberry beans.” Other Fields of Agape products we carry in Bulk are: organic popcorn, organic cornmeal, organic black beans, and organic pinto beans.
• PACHAMAMA COFFEE COOPERATIVE
Pachamama coffees, organic and fair trade, will be our new monthly rotating Sale Coffee. The Pachamama Coffee Cooperative of Small-Scale Coffee Producers (Pacha) is a farmer-owned cooperative organization based in the United States. Formed in 2001, Pacha is wholly owned by thousands of family farmers in Peru, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mexico and Ethiopia. Farmer-owners send their best organic coffee to the USA, where it is fresh-roasted in small batches and delivered straight to customers
• Good Karma Flax Milks – Original, Vanilla and Unsweetened
• Silk Protein Smoothies – Mixed Berry, Peach Mango and Strawberry Banana
• Hidden Pond – Spruce Leaf Kombucha , a seasonal concoction from our friends, Bev & Andy. They make it from fresh new spruce tree sprouts in the spring.
A: The new Fiskars reel lawn mower, now available at Bloomingfoods!
Are you dreading trying to start your lawn mower this spring? Isn’t it finally time to upgrade your lawn care from a chore to a truly fun, sustainable, healthy, ecologically sound experience?
If you are thinking about doing yourself and your lawn a favor, consider the Fiskars Momentum Reel Lawn Mower. Here are just some of the advantages.
BETTER FOR YOUR LAWN
¬ The Fiskars reel mower uses a scissors action to neatly cut the tip of the grass – unlike rotary mowers that whack it, and a dull blade shreds the leaf tip, leaving it open to disease and drying out.
¬ The mowing height is easily adjustable from 1” to 4”. We recommend 3½” for most lawns.
¬ Because the reel and blade are wider than the drive wheels, you can mow much closer to trees, fences, and buildings.
¬ You can mow in the cool of the morning or evening without disturbing your neighbors.
¬ No need for ear plugs to prevent hearing damage -- feel free to listen to your Walkman at low volume!
¬ Your neighbors won’t resent you for destroying their peace and quiet.
¬ Your clothes won’t smell like exhaust.
¬ Mowing your lawn won’t contribute to global warming.
¬ You’ll get an easy aerobic workout without breathing in carbon monoxide and other air pollution.
VERY EASY TO PUSH
¬ Totally unlike mowers you may remember from childhood, the reel does not touch the cutting blade, so there is practically no friction to overcome. The reel itself acts like a heavy flywheel and has chain-driven gears.
¬ The Momentum is lighter weight than gasoline-powered lawn mowers, so it is easier to control and to push.
¬ No need to store gasoline in your garage.
¬ No more high-velocity rocks or pinecones shot out the side, hitting people or breaking windows. You can safely wear shorts while you mow without fear of injury.
¬ Grass clippings are deflected to the front, into the mower’s path, for a second cutting. No more clippings covering your socks. Feel free to wear sandals.
¬ The Fiskars company was established in Finland in 1649. They know a thing or two about cutlery and other blades. You probably use their orange-handled scissors and pruners.
¬ The Momentum is backed by a 4-year warranty – that’s twice as long as the standard in the mower industry.
¬ Because the reel and blade don’t actually touch metal-to-metal, it might need sharpening in five to ten years – not several times a season.
FUN TO USE
¬ Using the Momentum mower is a new experience in lawn care. You get a quiet, peaceful, light workout without the noise and fumes. Even your twelve-year-old will volunteer to cut the grass – at least ours does.
¬ Depending on how fast you walk, a quarter-acre yard will take about 45 minutes to mow. It’s no longer a chore but truly a pleasure.
¬ Show your neighbors how Green you are. Feel good about doing the right thing!
TELL THE OIL COMPANIES WHERE TO GO
¬ What’s the price of gas today? How much will it be this summer?
¬ You would walk behind your old gasoline-powered push mower anyway, so why not skip the high gas prices (and the noise and fumes) and enjoy the person-powered Momentum reel mower?
¬ Do something good for your lawn, good for the planet, and good for you in so many ways.
WHERE CAN I GET ONE?
¬ Fiskars Momentum reel lawn mowers are now in stock at the East Store Garden Center and at the Near Westside Store. For an enthusiastic, personal testimonial, ask Chris at the Garden Center.
The Fiskars Momentum Reel Lawn Mower . . . better for your lawn, better for you, better for the planet!
by Chris Bobbitt
Bloomingfoods Garden Center
We are pleased to announce the expansion of our popular Member – Owner Rewards program! Member Rewards are promotional items that are specially priced for both Bloomingfoods Members and non members alike. They are always on promotion and they are often the bestselling item within a given category i.e. crackers, soup, dairy, etc.
At the beginning of March we identified many Tree of Life branded items to include in the program. Some are items that we’ve always carried and others are brand new for us. So, be on the lookout for reduced pricing on Tree of Life Brand: Organic Canned Black Beans, Organic Chicken Broth, Organic Almond Milk, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Orange Juice, Organic Peanut Butter, Organic Raw Almond Butter, Organic Raisins, Organic Dehydrated Cane Juice, Organic Tamari Sauce, Organic Tofu, Organic Strawberry Fruit Spread, Stevia, Organic Macaroni and Cheese, Organic Shells and Cheddar, Organic Dill Pickles, Organic Sweet Relish, Organic Diced Tomatoes, Organic Ketchup, Organic Dijon Mustard, Organic Tongol Tuna, Organic Water Crackers, Organic Golden Crackers, Organic Frozen Blueberries, Organic Large Brown Eggs, Wildflower Honey, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Apple Juice, and Organic Coconut Oil! Phew!! And these are in addition to all of our (your) usual Member Reward items!! The reason we chose Tree of Life Branded products is because our local Tree of Life staff has been a very supportive partner of Bloomingfoods for many years and this is our way of showing our support of them.
New Local item from Canine Café dog treats! “The purpose of Canine Cafe was to provide healthy treats for pets. Because of pet allergies, we wanted to give pet parents a healthy choice in treats. The business started when we baked cookies for our local Humane Society and decided to provide treats for the 4 legged friends. Once we started shopping in local stores, we realized there were few choices when it came to preservative free, nutritious treats. Canine Cafe was born! It is our pleasure to provide choices that make pet owners feel just as good as their pets. Our tag line is "So good you will want to eat them, too!" and you can because they ARE good for you! “
New Piccoli Dolci biscotti flavors include Miele, “a honey-laced cookie, complex and not overly sweet with a robust texture, “ and Nocciolini, “a traditional recipe from the Dolomites region…delicate texture with the nutty but sweet flavor of buckwheat.”
New Piccoli Dolci dessert item called Semifreddo. They’re really fun and really delicious! “Semifreddo is a semi-frozen (thus, "semifreddo") dessert consisting of layers of sweetened cream, cake, and fruit. Sold in individual portions, they make the perfect dessert for a special gathering or a quiet evening in. Simply take the semifreddo out of the freezer 10-15 minutes before serving, then enjoy the rich, creamy flavor. We have three flavors of semifreddo in our market offerings, including lemon-raspberry, apricot-Madagascar vanilla bean, and espresso.”
Other new items in refrigerated include: Wholesoy 24 oz. Plain Yogurt, Liberte 0% yogurts, Wildwood Soy Probiotic Yogurts 24 oz, Oasis Mediterranean Hummus, and Harmless Harvest Coconut Water.
In Frozen: Amy’s Gluten Free Burritos, Ian’s Gluten Free Onion Rings
In packaged Grocery: Bar Harbor Clam Juice, Whole Clams (Main Cherrystone), Newburg Sauce, Soldier Beans and Yellow Eye Beans; and Walden Calorie Free Salad Dressings.
That’s it for now. Spring in and say hi!
Spring is just around the corner – and it hasn’t even really been winter yet! But in a world where “Back to School” comes right after the 4th of July and Christmas comes hard on Halloween (at least in the box stores), who can blame the seed catalogues for arriving in January? What gardener doesn’t drool over the offerings, counting backward from last frost to see how soon we can start tomatoes and crucifers? Peas, carrots, kale and potatoes in by St. Patrick’s Day and corn on the cob, beans and tomatoes by the 4th of July!
Below is a partial list of new items recently brought into the East Store grocery department:
Local items include:
• Amore di Mona chocolate bars: Produced in Louisville, KY by Bloomingfoods Member/Owner Mona Changaris. You can find these really delicious candy bars on the impulse shelves near the registers. From their website www.amoredimona.com:
We are a collective of nutrition-focused food artisans and health care providers. Within our families and circle of friends lies the source of our initial inspiration as many of them have food allergies, diabetes, gluten intolerance or have chosen a vegan lifestyle.
To create masterpiece, allergen free, low glycemic, vegan chocolates using ingredients that while essential for some, are enjoyable by all.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE
All selections are created with high quality, natural, preservative-free, non-GMO, kosher ingredients. Our cocoa butter is imported from France, cocoa solids from Belgium. Madhava provides our organic agave nectar. Fruits included are fresh or sulfite-free, sun dried organic. The gluten-free grains we use are milled whole.
• Another favorite local supplier, Hidden Pond, is pleased to announce some of their new items:
Ketchup, “the kid-friendly ferment teeming with probiotics and good-for-the-gut natural acids!”
Barbeque Sauce, “perhaps our most robust, mature flavored product yet!”and Salsa, a probiotic condiment with natural chelators.
• Fields of Agape local, organic Bulk Black Beans and Bulk Pinto Beans. And, we’re very happy to share the news that Fields of Agape is now officially certified organic.
• Inga’s popcorn , made in Zionsville,IN. “At Inga's Popcorn we make every item from scratch, … We even use Certified Organic Popcorn (grown in Indiana) in all of our treats. And after just one bite, you'll understand why our customers keep coming back for more of our fresh popped treats.”
• Chocolate Moose introduced 3 new flavors at an East store sampling recently: vegan chocolate, cheesecake, and cinnamon brown sugar!! Mmmmmmm
Other (non-local) new items include:
• Bechtle egg noodles (spaetzle, broad, and thin soup style)
• Bella Luna fresh (refrigerated) pastas (linguine, cheese ravioli, angel hair) and Cibos Pesto sauces
• San Miguel Mole Paste
• Calhoun Bend Mill Mixes (Mexican Cornbread, Italian Flatbread, Peach Cobbler, and Onion Coating)
• Honey Acres chocolate mints (on the impulse caps)
• Just Tomatoes packaged, freeze dried fruits and vegetables: We’re moving from primarily conventional to organic.
Thanks for all your input, feedback and ideas! We really appreciate your participation in our selection.
Looking for a gift for the gardener in your life? Be sure to check out your Bloomingfoods Garden Center! Although our gardening showroom is still a work in progress, our friendly staff will be happy to assist you in finding a truly useful gift that may not have occurred to you.