Parent Category: Membership
It is time for the annual member-owner vote for the election of directors to the Bloomington Cooperative Services (BCS) board. One of the things that distinguishes cooperatives is that they are governed by member-elected directors, according the the 2nd cooperative principle of Democratic Member Control. At BCS, we have an election each year for either 3 or 4 members of a 7-member board. This year, the following people are in contest to fill 4 positions: Janice Lilly, Joellen Muyskens, Art Sherwood, Donna Stroup, and Tomi Whitaker.
Fully-paid members of the co-op receive a ballot in the mail that includes the candidates' statements. Winners of the election will be announced at the Annual Meeting, held in October and open to members and their guests. Watch for your ballot in the mail, and be sure to participate in the election! One member household equals one vote.
To introduce themselves, each candidate has answered the following questions.
1. Why are you interested in serving on the board of Bloomington Cooperative Services, Inc?
2. What experience or involvement have you had with Bloomingfoods or other cooperatives?
3. What do you see as the role of BCS, Inc. in the community?
4. What are opportunities and challenges that you see in the future of the co-op?
5. Please share any professional, volunteer, or life experience you have had that will provide insight when serving on the BCS board of directors. Include knowledge, skills, formal training, and education that will contribute to the mission of our co-op.
6. What has been your experience in working cooperatively with small groups of people (such as being a member of a committee, team sports, or volunteer as part of a work group for any organization).
7. How do your values and lifestyle align with the values and mission of the co-op?
8. Please share any other brief statement that you feel is particularly important regarding your potential service as a member of the board.
Read the Cadidate Statements.