A classic flavor combination of blue cheese, roast beef, and cracked black pepper.
Serve as rolls or atop hearty pumpernickel bread.
These taste best when served at room temperature.
Serves 6. Prep time: 20 minutes
1/2 lb. roast beef, sliced (thin but not shaved)
1/4 lb. blue cheese, crumbled or bite-sized
6 scallions (green onions), white end trimmed off
2 Tbs. stone ground mustard
1 Tbs. cracked black pepper (or fresh ground)
1/4 cream cheese, softened (optional)
Pumpernickel bread, cut into 1-inch squares (optional)
1. Trim the scallions (green onions) into 24 pieces, approximately 3 inches long.
2. Cut the roast beef into strips, approximately 1-2 inches wide by 6 inches long.
3. Lay out the roast beef strips
and add a scallion slice, a dollop of stone ground mustard, and a pinch of blue cheese. Sprinkle lightly with cracked black pepper.
4. Lift the bottom edge of the roast beef up and over the scallion and blue cheese, and then roll upwards, jelly roll style.
5. Skewer each roll with a toothpick, and serve on a platter, perhaps with pumpernickel bread squares.
|< Prev||Next >|