A rich full-flavored recipe. Perfect with baguette slices or hearty crackers.
This recipe is best made ahead of time; allow it to firm up in the refrigerator, then serve at room temperature.
Serves 6. Prep time: 20 minutes
2 oz. (1 half stick) butter, unsalted
1/4 lb. white button mushrooms, washed and sliced
1/4 lb. wild mushrooms, washed and sliced
(try shiitake and crimini)
2 Tbs. chopped white onion
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 lb. cream cheese, softened
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Melt butter in a small stockpot and add mushrooms, onion, wine, and cream. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer.
2. Simmer about 25 minutes or until cream is reduced by half. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Pour the cooled mushroom mixture into a food processor and pulse until fairly smooth.
4. Add cream cheese to the food processor and blend. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer the cheese spread into a small serving bowl and surround with bread and crackers.
6. Add scallions or chives as a garnish if desired.