Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Beef
These filling, hearty rolls are a great make-ahead casserole, and a way to get the most carnivorous of your family to enjoy some cabbage.
- 12 whole cabbage leaves (1 large cabbage)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 15-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fill a pot large enough to hold the head of cabbage with as much water as you can while leaving enough room to add the cabbage, and bring the water to a boil. While the water heats, use a paring knife to trim the base of the cabbage just enough so that the leaves are no longer attached to the core. Once the water is boiling, add a generous teaspoon salt, and carefully place the trimmed head of cabbage into the water. Turn the heat down to a simmer, and cook for about three minute, while gently rolling the head of cabbage from side to side using a wooden spoon or spatula. Use a skimmer, a large strainer with a heat-proof handle or sturdy tongs to remove the cabbage from the pot, and transfer to a large bowl or colander to drain, cut-side down. Place drained cabbage on a cutting board, and carefully remove as many whole leaves as will come away easily from the head. If necessary, return the cabbage head to the water and repeat the process until you have 12 leaves. Drain and reserve the remaining cabbage for another use.
- For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a medium pan, and then add the onion. Cook, over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes. Add the tomato puree, lemon and apple juices, paprika and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, just to thicken a little. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F. Lightly oil a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, crumbs, salt, pepper, sage, coriander, allspice and dry mustard, and mix thoroughly. Pat the meat down to make an even round of filling, then divide it in four portions, then divide each into three even pieces. Form each into a rough 3 inch log and place on a cabbage leaf. Fold the sides of the leaf over the beef. Roll up and place seam side down in the pan. If desired, secure with a toothpick. Repeat until all are rolled. Pour the sauce over the rolls to cover completely. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a roll in the center of the pan registers 160⁰F. Let stand for about five minutes before serving.
Serve these beefy rolls with a potato dish, such as mashed potatoes or roasted new potatoes with herbs, and steamed green beans.
403 calories, 23 g. fat, 71 mg. cholesterol, 897 mg. sodium, 27 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 4 g. protein
– See more at: Stronger Together