10 reasons to run for the board
I’ll be honest- serving on the Bloomingfoods board has been more work, more time-consuming, and more emotionally draining than I expected when I submitted my application. It’s also been more satisfying and fulfilling than I had anticipated. In the balance, I’d say it’s worth it, and I’m proud of the work we’ve done as a board and as a co-op in my short tenure as director. Based on my own experience, and without further ado, I’ve compiled a list of:
10 reasons to join our Bloomingfoods Board of Directors
1. Be informed. There’s no better way to know what’s going on at Bloomingfoods than to serve on the board!
2. Learn something. Whether it’s reading financial reports, creating business plans, or following the latest health food trends, the board and Bfoods’ staff possess a great collection of diverse expertise and we’re always learning something new.
3. Build relationships. The board spends a lot of time together, but we also work closely with staff and member-owners. There are so many wonderful, passionate individuals in the Bfoods community!
4. Share your passion. Is there a specific co-op issue that’s important to you? This is your chance to fight for it!
5. Share your expertise. Like I said, the board has diverse interests and areas of expertise. If you have experience in real-estate, accounting, business law, etc., serving on the board is a great way to share your expertise.
6. Give back. If you feel as grateful for Bfoods’ existence in our community as we do, this is a great chance to put some time and energy into ensuring its healthy future.
7. Stretch your comfort zone. We speak in front of audiences, work in small groups, chair committees, write blog posts, etc. If you aren’t comfortable with it to begin with, you’ll learn to be!
8. Build patience. As with any group work, we all have to negotiate with differing viewpoints, and we learn to compromise and come to more robust solutions as a result.
9. Get even more invested in Bfoods! We’re immersed in Bfoods. If you already care a lot about our co-op, somehow you’ll find that you care even more.
10. Have fun! Serving on the board is a lot of work. But board members, Bfoods staff, our owner-members, and our community really are great bunch of people, and spending time with them is fulfilling, rewarding, and fun!
If you’re interested in running for the Bloomingfoods board, pick up a packet in any Bfoods location, or find it online here. Deadline for candidate packet submissions is coming up- June 14- and elections take place in September and October. Feel free to contact me with any questions!
Perpetuation Committee Chair