RECIPE: SPRINGTIME AVOCADO TOAST
Enjoy the simplicity of this winning avocado toast.
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped arugula, plus sprigs for garnish
- 4 slices hearty whole grain bread
- 1 large avocado
- 4 small red radishes or a medium watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, mash the cheese and mix in the lemon zest and chopped arugula.
- Toast the bread. Spread 1/4 of the cheese mixture on each piece of toast. Halve the avocado lengthwise, carefully remove the pit, then use a paring knife to slice the flesh thinly in the shell. Use a soup spoon to scoop out the slices, and fan 1/4 of the avocado over each slice of toast. Top with radish slices and garnish with arugula sprigs.
Having friends over for breakfast or lunch? Try a make-your-own avocado toast buffet, with a couple of choices of hearty bread to toast, additional toppings like tahini, olive oil, chopped fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, and sprinkle-ons like toasted sesame seeds, za’atar, or snipped fresh herbs.
210 calories, 14 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 250 mg. sodium, 17 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 9 g. protein