Rice and Beans with Orange Kiwi Salsa
While rice and beans and citrusy salsa might seem an unusual pair, the combination is refreshingly delicious.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (reserve 2 tablespoons raw onion for the salsa)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 2-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the allspice, thyme, chili flakes, coconut milk, water and rice, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover the pot, and cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, gently stir together the kiwi, oranges, 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion, ginger, jalapeño, and lime juice in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Once the rice is done, add the kidney beans, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Serve with the orange kiwi salsa on the side.
This Jamaican-style dish is delicious with grilled meats or fried fish and a ginger beer. Try the salsa on broiled, steamed or baked flaky fish or just with a handful of plantain chips.
297 calories, 28 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 294 mg. sodium, 49 g. carbohydrate, 6 g. fiber, 8 g. protein